ICM is governed by an international Council- the decision making body of the organisation, which sets strategic direction for ICM at each Triennial Council Meeting. The Council elects a President, Vice President and a Treasurer to work closely with the Chief Executive to achieve the strategic directions approved by Council and prioritised by the Board. Board members are appointed by Council as described in the ICM Constitution (Article 17). In June 2017 ICM Council updated By-laws, Statuts Administratifs, Reglamentos internos . A new Constitution was ratified in 2009.
There are 132 Midwives Associations in 113 Countries in membership of the ICM representing approximately 500,000 midwives.
Council: Two Members from each Member Associations and the Board
Board: 10 members from 6 Regions; Africa - Anglophone and Francophone (2), Americas - North America & Caribbean and Latin America (2), Western-Pacific (1), Europe - Northern, Central and Southern (3), Eastern Mediterranean Region (1) and South East Asia (1)
The Board includes an Executive Committee: President, Vice-President, and Treasurer of which the Chief Executive is a non-voting member. Board Members are appointed for a three year term, renewable once.
Management: the ICM Head Office is based The Hague, the Netherlands. In 2018, the Head Office Team includes:
- Chief Executive, Dr. Sally Pairman
- Lead Midwife Advisor, Ann Yates
- Midwife Advisors, Florence West
- Midwife Advisor, Martha Bokosi (based in Malawi)
- Communications Coordinator, Sawiche Wamunza
- Project Coordinator, Shantanu Garg
- Advocacy Coordinator, Scarlett Hawkins
- Membership Coordinator, Charlotte Renard
- Council Administrator, Donnica H Frijlink
- Executive Office Administrator, Melinda Dudas
- Finance Manager, Hans van Dongen (part time)
- Contractors, including Midwife Advisor, Liliane Ingabire (based in Rwanda)