- 05 Oct , 2023 Bruna Bimbato
- No translations available
Expression of Interest for Working Group on Indigenous Midwifery: Second Call for Indigenous Midwife members
Expression of Interest
ICM made a first call for Expressions of Interest (EOI) for Indigenous and non-Indigenous midwives to join the Working Group on Indigenous Midwifery in September 2022. The process took longer than anticipated and some members were selected in May 2023. However, not enough applications were received from Indigenous midwives who met the criteria. For this reason, we are now making a second call for Indigenous midwives who are interested in applying to join the Working Group. The process and dates for submission are outlined below.
ICM is a midwifery member organisation whose mission is to strengthen Midwives’ Associations and thereby enhance the reproductive health of women and their newborns. The purpose of the Working Group on Indigenous Midwifery (WG-IM) is to support ICM to discuss and explore how ICM can implement its position statement on Indigenous and non-Indigenous midwives, approved by the ICM Council in June 2021. This includes advising ICM on how midwives can best support Indigenous women and their midwives. The W WG-IM has an operational role, reporting to the Chief Executive.
The Term of Reference can be found below. Please read carefully to ensure that you are aware of the scope of work, roles and responsibilities, term of appointment, procedures and resources. Participation is on a voluntary basis.
The WG-IM will be comprised of 12 members:
- Six Indigenous midwives from ICM Member Associations with Indigenous midwife membership, from ICM’s different regions. (We seek four Indigenous midwives through this EOI)
- Three non-Indigenous midwives from ICM Member Associations in different regions. (Selected through the first EOI)
- Two members of an ICM Head Office Regional Team in two different regions. (Selected through the first EOI)
- One Independent Chair (Indigenous and preferably a non-midwife) who is knowledgeable and experienced regarding the issues. (Selected through the first EOI)
Members of the WG-IM will be selected to maximise representation from ICM regions with Indigenous midwifery.
Each midwife member of the WG-IM must:
- Be a member of an ICM Member Association.
- For Indigenous midwives: must be members of ICM Member Associations (MAs) that have Indigenous midwife membership.
- For non-Indigenous midwives: must be members of ICM Member Associations. (Selected through the first EOI)
- Be proficient in the use of English for communication (reading, writing, listening, speaking).
- Be able to communicate electronically.
- Prepare for and attend meetings.
- Commit to actively participate in the Working Group.
If you are interested in becoming a member of ICM’s Working Group on Indigenous Midwifery, then please complete the form below (also available as a Word document), stating your interest and send to email@example.com by 17h (CET) Sunday 29 October, 2023.
We aim to respond by 10th November 2023 and plan to have the first meeting in the third week of November 2023.