Education, Regulation and Association
The Three Pillars of a strong midwifery profession are Education to provide a highly competent, qualified workforce, Regulation of the activities of the professionals, and organisation of the members in a strong Association. All of the guide Midwives Associations and their governments to review, improve and strengthen the education and regulation of midwives and midwifery. They enable countries to review their midwifery curricula for supporting and retaining a quality midwifery workforce.
Watch the Videos on Education, Regulation and Association
Learn about the ICM Global Standards, Competencies and Tools by watching the videos:
- Education with Joyce Thompson and Angela Sawyer
- Competencies with Judith Fullerton
- Regulation with Sally Pairman
- Strength in numbers with Nester Moyo
Find the relevant Core Documents
Firstly please find the general Glossary of Terms to inform all the ICM Core Documents.
- Provides a highly qualified, competent workforce
- ICM Global Standards for Midwifery Education (2010 amended 2013) form a framework for the development of midwifery education.
- ICM Global Standards for Education - Companion Guidelines (2010 amended 2013)
- ICM The Global Standards for Education - Glossary of Education Terms
- ICM Essential Competencies for Basic Midwifery Practice (2010 amended 2013) for the basis of the curriculum for midwifery education.
- ICM Standard Equipment List for Competency-Based Skills Training in Midwifery schools (2012)
- ICM Model Curriculum Outlines for Professional Midwifery Education (2012) provides guidelines for the development of midwifery curricula which, in line with competencies and education standards take cognisance of the context without compromising quality
- ICM Curriculum Concordance Map (2013) provides a tool to map the competencies in the curriculum.
- ICM Comepetency Self-Assessment Tool (2013)
- Serves to protect women and their babies
- Defines competency and scope for practice
- Sets education and practice standards
- ICM Regulation Toolkit , Guide pratique de Réglementation de l'ICM, Kit de Herramiento de Regulación la ICM
- ICM Global Standards for Midwifery Regulation (2011) provides a framework to ensure that regulation of midwifery education and practice is globally effective.
- Provides professional support
- Contributes to national policy development
- Supports relationships with other healthcare professions
- The Member Association Capacity Assessment Tool (MACAT) 2011 provides a framework to help an association assess an decide what activities need to be carried out.
- The Member Association Capacity Assessment Tool (MACAT) Guidelines for use