ICM Member Responsibilities
As a member of ICM you support and contribute to ICM's Strategic Directions at a national, regional or international level, and play an important role in the decision making process of ICM. You also identify midwifery needs in your country and work with the ICM Board Member of the region to meet those needs.
As a member of ICM, you main responsibilities are:
- Objectives, activities and duties must be consistent and in line with ICM’s vision and mission;
- Support ICM and try to contribute to ICM’s Strategic Directions directly and/or indirectly at a national, regional and/or international level;
- Nominate two ICM Council delegates for every three years/triennium to adequately represent your Association at Council meetings and carry out Council duties. Council is the highest governing body of ICM. Council delegates have the responsibility to speak and vote on behalf of the association at Council meetings. They play an important role in the decision making process for their own association as well as for ICM as a whole. (more information about Council’s functions and duties can be found in ICM Council Brochure)
- Assist and support your appointed Council delegates in carrying out the ICM Council duties. Council delegates should stand in close relationship to the association they represent.
- Identify midwifery needs in your country and work with the ICM Board Member of the region to meet those needs.
- Pay the annual ICM Membership fee.
ICM also strongly encourage its members to:
- Communicate with ICM HQ regularly and actively and keep the ICM Secretariat up to date on any relevant changes in your Association, focal points and contact details;
- Regularly share with ICM your stories – activities, best practices, reports, projects, events and news related to Sexual, Reproductive, Maternal and Newborn Health in your country – for the ICM website and to contribute to ICM’s objectives to promote its mission and the profession of midwifery;
- Implement and organise activities which contribute to achieving the Millennium Development Goals and the Post-2015 Agenda related to Sexual, Reproductive, Maternal and Newborn Health (SRMNH);
- Attend and/or participate (e.g. send an abstract) in the ICM Triennial Congress;
- Promote, build and sustain networks and relationships with other ICM Members;
- Introduce ICM to other midwives who have not heard about it
- Give suggestions and new ideas on how best ICM can be of benefit to midwives, not only in your country but also everywhere