International Day of the Midwife 2010: The World Needs Midwives Now More Than Ever
The Board and Staff of the International Confederation of Midwives congratulate ICM Members and midwives worldwide on the International Day of the Midwife, 5 May 2010
The International Day of the Midwife is an occasion for every midwife to think about the many others in the profession, to make new contacts within and outside midwifery, and to raise awareness of what midwives do for the world. In 2010 and in the years leading up to 2015, ICM will use the overarching theme The World Needs Midwives Now More Than Ever as part of an ongoing campaign to highlight the need for midwives.
- Read the ICM International Day of the Midwife 2010 News release
- ICM President addresses the World's Midwives - watch the video here
- White Ribbon Alliance - UKAid article
- Virtual International Day of the Midwife
- Free, online 24 hour conference facilitated by Sarah Stewart and Deborah Davis to celebrate the International Day of the Midwife
IDM 2010 News
To mark the International Day of the Midwife in 2010, ICM is calling on world leaders to allocate more resources for midwives. The full News Release is available: in English, French, and Spanish.
Agneta S Bridges, ICM Secretary General and Thoraya Ahmed Obaid, Executive Director of UNFPA have released a Joint Statement, highlighting the need for more midwives in the world. The Statement is available in English, French and Spanish.
Skilled Midwives Essential For Safer Maternal, Newborn And Reproductive Health’ Statement released by FIGO to mark the International Day of the Midwife 2010.